UKERC Energy Data Centre: FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Question Response
Is registration necessary? It is necessary to register with the UKERC-EDC in order to access some data sets; this is required both to inform data providers of the level of interest in their data and to allow users to be informed if the data set is updated or additional information made available. Registering to use these data sets will be taken as acceptance that the applicant’s name, institution, and e-mail address can be stored and used for these purposes
How accurate is the project information? Whilst the project Catalogue allows analysis of R&D funding to be carried out, either on a whole project basis, or by Calendar Year, or by Financial Year, it is particularly important to appreciate that the funding distribution during a grant is assumed to be constant.
How is a Project's value split and allocated? In multi-partner projects (e.g. consortia) the lead partner (PI) receives the total grant and manages its distribution to the other partners (OIs). Therefore a detailed funding breakdown is only shown where this information has been provided by the lead partner. For multi-partner projects, the initial assumption made is that the lead partner (PI) receives 99.99% of the funding and the other partners (OIs) a nominal amount.Any Industrial Collaborators (ICs) and Recognised Researchers (RRs) are shown as receiving 0%. The spend on any grant is assumed to be at a constant rate per month.
Why does the project spend for a given energy category not agree exactly with other published data? The data obtained from the Catalogue should not be compared with that from individual funding bodies, as often different energy categorisation schemes and definitions, and spend rates will have been used.
What types of project partners are listed? The lead partner of a project (defined as the person/body who is contracted by the funding body) is called the “Principal Investigator” (PI) - there can only be one PI for each project. Other partners who are known to be receiving funding to carry out the project are known as “Other Investigators” (OIs). Other organisations associated with the project but not in receipt of funding are known as “Industrial Collaborators” (ICs). Individual researchers who have helped propose the project and whose salary costs are being paid using the project’s funding are sometimes known as “Recognised Researchers” (RRs). There is no limit to the number of OIs, ICs, or RRs for a given project.
Last updated 12th December 2022